CREATING AN UNBOXING EXPERIENCE THAT WOWS YOUR SUBSCRIBERS
There’s a new phenomenon going around online: unboxing videos. Consumers purchase products online, wait for them to ship, and then video someone opening the package. Why would viewers care enough to sit through an entire video of some stranger opening a package? Because the unboxing experience is that important. Before consumers purchase products online, they often do a bit of research to find out if companies deliver what they promise. By watching an unboxing video, viewers can get an accurate picture of what to expect from the desired products.
Subscription box company owners rely heavily on the Internet to market and sell their boxes. Many often neglect one of the most important aspects of growing their business: the unboxing experience. Since subscription boxes are by nature part of the e-commerce industry, the unboxing process is the first physical experience customers have with their boxes. As such, the impression you leave on customers through your unboxing practice can make or break your business. Contained in this article are some great ideas on how to create an unboxing experience that will leave customers wanting to come back for more.
How to Create the Best Unboxing Experience Possible
- Customize your shipping box - That generic brown box doesn’t create the same excitement and anticipation as something with an eye-catching design. When considering how to design your shipping box, think about Christmas morning. You want customers to feel like a kid waking up on Christmas morning to find beautifully-wrapped gifts under the tree when they get your box each month. In addition to generating a sense of excitement, a well-designed shipping box also adds to your branding efforts. Take a look at Janie’s Cakes for a great example of this.
- Send a hand-written note - Whether you include a note on the packing slip or incorporate it in some other way, nothing says “personalized” like a note hand-written specifically for each customer. It doesn’t have to be lengthy; a simple “thank you” or “have a nice day” will do. Just include the customer’s name at the top and yours at the bottom.
- Add extra touches to the interior packaging - More often than not, there’s additional packaging on the inside of the exterior shipping box. To make a big impression on subscribers, add nice tissue paper that makes the contents look like an elegant gift, or implement witty phrases on the extra packaging itself.
- Include an unexpected surprise - Your boxes most likely contain product samples, but why not include a sample or full-sized product your customers aren’t expecting? Not only does this please your subscribers, but it also offers the chance to get feedback on items you can include in future boxes.
- Keep it simple - No matter what design you choose for your shipping box or what you include in it, make sure it’s easy to open. Nothing frustrates customers more than waiting weeks to receive their order, only to spend too much of their time trying to get into the box. If your packaging is complicated, it takes away from the unboxing experience and the anticipation level generally dissipates.
How to Find Help Making Your Unboxing Experience Awesome
You want your business to grow, right? Sometimes that means moving beyond your home office and asking for help. Technology Ventures Inc. offers many services you need to manage your subscription box company. From warehousing to fulfillment to distribution, we’re here to make your life easier. If you’re interested in learning more about how we can help grow your business, sign up to receive our newsletter and view our services for more detailed information about what we do.